Thursday, January 1, 2009

Milk

I saw MILK today. You should see it.

The most fundamental issue regarding other’s belief about homosexuality is that it is a choice.

In some cases, it becomes a choice after acknowledging one’s orientation post marriage and children. There are other scenarios, we know them all. However, that is not the gist of this blog.

Choice! That is the argument. Would you like to play a role in putting an end to this erroneous belief? I believe that a compendium of a great many histories would at least add to the literature on our behalf.

The age of reason, according to Canon Law, is the guideline that I am using for my study. The age of reason, also called the age of discretion, is the age at which children become capable of moral responsibility. On completion of the seventh year a minor is presumed to have the use of reason (canon 97 §2 of the Code of Canon Law). Children under the age of reason and the mentally handicapped are sometimes called "innocents" because of their inability to commit sins: even if their actions are considered objectively sinful.

It would be appreciated if you, your girlfriends and gay men friends would contribute to this endeavor.

The guidelines:

To be submitted only by those men and women who can attest to the fact that their homosexuality was evident to them before and up to the age of seven.


Incidents, such as proclivities, such as a male friend of mine who said that while his brother was playing cops and robberies he was begging his mother to allow him to fold the laundry and polish the furniture: Sorry for the stereotypical example. My own partner said that she never fought the girls she only took on the boys and always won. She was eight! Of great importance is the sexual thrust for the same sex at such a young age. Please take note however, that it is not just the sexual attraction which is being considered.


Family recognition which resulted in repudiation, acceptance or ignoring the child’s orientation. In addition, examples of such and the direct effect of these attitudes upon the child and the direction she/he took in life.

Any personal factors that would shed light on the individual’s journey.

The purpose is obvious. If the naysayers are able to read a compendium of documented studies written by the gay community in their own words it might help them toward a better understanding of our community. However, we need a substantial number of histories.

The personal account should be under 1,000 words.

I will tell those who do not know of me that I am a senior citizen who would like to contribute something of value. The work is probably not beyond me as I am a writer, I have been a psychotherapist for over twenty five years and a teacher of psychology on the college level for the same length of time.

I am pretty sure I knew I was gay before seven. I went on to marry and have children. Sorry this ended up being about me-but it is, and a million others like me.

Please feel free to advertise this endeavor on your own blogs. Also, any suggestions would be happily accepted.

Thanks,

BRING IT ON!


mmsugar@live.com

4 comments:

Margo Moon said...

I'm on the case, M.M.

Does tomboy stuff count? I'm thinking it prolly does, but just asking for clarification.

m.m.sugar said...

Yes Margo, it does count.

I realize that the guidelines are not well defined. I am going to put more energy into this important criteria as I receive responses and questions such as yours.

Thanks for being, 'on the case'.

Anna said...

hmmm...gives me something to think about.

On one hand I seldom thought about gender when I was a kid. I was whoever I was, and I relish memories where I didn't have to think about being a girl...or any gender at all. On the other, if you could stuff a rough and tumble kid, who like to slide down hills on her butt and play with snakes, into a frilly dress (as my mom and assorted relatives so often did), that was me.

m.m.sugar said...

Great beginning!

Keep that thinking cap on and send me any suggestions etc.

And, tell your friends.

We need to band together.

Thanks for the response and Happy New Year!