Saturday, October 18, 2008

Change Happens?

Yesterday it was hot and muggy. The windows were wide open and my cats sat on the windowsills basking in the sun. Today I attended a seminar wearing two shirts, a turtle neck and a jacket of significant weight.

So what's going on? It's change, one of the things we can depend on when it comes to weather.

Alas, some things never change, they are a given, such as death and taxes and the extant prejudice against we who love others of the same sex.

I know that I am preaching to the choir, so accept my apologies. I am just so fed up. It's the old choice argument.

Why do people say that we choose this lifestyle? Surely they don't believe it, no one is that stupid, are they?

Today, at the university, I sat with two women in their forties who shared that they were returning to college. During the break, a mere 20 minutes while I was desperately scoffing down my lunch, I witnessed this conversation.

"What do you think?"
"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure"
"He's good looking, he could probably get a good looking girl, that is if he bothered to try!"
"Well you know, they don't even bother. I think that at some point at least, well don't you think they get tired of the experimentation?

One turned to me. "What do you think?" she asked.
"What? I 'm sorry I guessed I missed it."
"The lecturer. Do you think he's gay?"
"Probably." I said with a broad smile. "We gay folk make the best lecturers. I always get excellent evals from my own students. We have a flare for it I guess."

I am hoping that I have at least one of them as a student in the Spring semester!

Teacher Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love your response. Hopefully it made them think...at least, pause.

I interviewed an amazing woman once. Her name is Susan Stankas and she runs a PFLAG chapter. We were talking about her gay son and she said some really powerful things that I've never forgotten.

At some point, I said "I don't want to justify my lifestyle..."

She stopped my and said: "don't ever say that again. It's not your lifestyle, it's your LIFE."

That rang really loudly for me.

She also said that as a parent, she realized she had to stop putting the gay stereotype on her son and instead, put her son's face on the stereotype.

Powerful.

m.m.sugar said...

Very powerful indeed!

A style is a choice. We live our lives according to that irresistable internal thrust. Choice plays no role. However, you cannot change the mind of the prejudiced.

I am not sure that the ladies gave any significant thought to the ISSUE. They were looking for the nearest rock to crawl under.

My indignation got the best of me!

One should never let anything or any one get the best of them!

I have been thinking of better ways I could have handled it.

Alas! Tis too late.