Friday, October 3, 2008

And then there is love

This was our third or fourth transatlantic call. Thus far our rapport was incredible. We were speaking about our marriages, kids, hobbies, dislikes, health, homes, music, books, language, fidelity and then about the pets we have had.

I told her about Felix sleeping on my bed all these years. There was a brief silence on the other side of the Atlantic and then a jaunty. "Ah, you sleep with a dead cat? Surely you are joking!"

"Well, he is safely ensconced in his little white kitten who is rather gray by now. But, yes. I was so distressed at his passing that it took me nine years before I was able to adopt the twins. So we all sleep together now. I introduced them when I brought the twins home. I told them that this was their eldest brother and they had to give him respect."

Silence!

Copyright © 2008 by m.m.sugar

2 comments:

Margo Moon said...

There's a whole lot to be said for silence, and the latitude of interpretation it allows.

So, I wonder how you interpreted it at that time. Maybe I should just wait for the next post? Dang.

m.m.sugar said...

I knew that she was thinkin real fast. Should she stay or should she go. Yet, I wanted to let her know who I was-love me, love my dog! She thought I was nuts! That was ok because she was smart enough to stick around.